Moving to a new city can be daunting. Here at Casamona, we want to help you every step of the way. Our team have put together some of the most important and essential things we think you'll need to know when moving to Barcelona. From emergency services to leisure activities, we hope you will find all you need to know to settle into Barcelona.
- Primary Healthcare:
- Mental Health:
- International Schools:
British School of Barcelona
With 60 years of history, The British School of Barcelona offers an international environment with qualified teaching staff and first-class facilities.
The school is formally recognised and accredited by the British government for its full English education. IB is offered here and the school's Spanish ESO and "Bachillerato" is also fully accredited. Every year, students from BSB have been known to accept offers from Russell Group universities in the UK. Graduating students also go to other British, Spanish and international universities of their first choice. This proves the high value of education at this school.
This international school offers an extensive programme of after-school activities and a 4-week summer school in July.
The school has three campuses. They offer education to children from 3 to 18 years old:
- Castelldefels: Early Years, Primary and Secondary (3 to 16 years) – Main campus, in Castelldefels (Barcelona)
- Sitges: Early Years and Primary (3 to 11 years) – in Sitges (Barcelona)
- Nexus: Pre-University Education (16 to 18 years) – In Castelldefels (Barcelona), next to the main campus
International School of Catalunya
Known as ISCAT, this international school is an accredited British International School. It offers the National Curriculum of England and Wales from Early Years through to Key Stage 5. Full primary to secondary education is provided in the form of SATs, iGCSEs and International A-Levels. The school goes well beyond the average curriculum: they offer the Duke of Edinburgh Award programme for students and Forest School Education. They strive to educate their students in intercultural awareness and social responsibility. They have been recognised by UNICEF as a Rights Respecting School.
- Carrer Manuel Raspall, 6-8, La Garriga.
- Tel: +34 93 841 4077
The Kensington School follows the UK curriculum. Pre-school is offered for ages 3 to 6 and Spanish is taught from the age of 7 in primary school. What is different about this family-run international school is that it is regularly visited by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate. Because Kensington's student body is very international, you can find children interacting with other kids from all around the world.
- C/ Cavallers 31-33,
- Tel. 93 203 5457
Oak House School
Oak House School offers a “stimulating, active and participative” take on teaching and learning. The international school keeps up with the times by employing new technologies to help with teaching. During primary years, Oak House is a British school, teaching predominantly in English. In secondary years, Oak House offers a trilingual education (English, Catalan and Spanish) with the opportunity to take up a fourth language.
- Sant Pere Claver 12-18, Barcelona,
- Tel. 932524020 / 932524021
A coeducational Primary and Secondary school for children aged 2-18. St George’s has a reputation for high educational standards. They support the individual, moreover, offering a wide range of extracurricular activities. British examinations, as well as Spanish, are available. There are four other campuses countrywide.
- Carrer de l’Esperança, 13
- Tel.: 931 293 024
The Olive Tree School
The Olive Tree School is a relatively new international school joining the group, having started up only 6 years ago. This, however, does not detract from the great advantages the international school: small class sizes means it has a familial feel. From ages 3-16, students can enjoy personalised learning following the English curriculum. OTS offers iGCSEs and their motto remains "Responsibility, Resourcefulness and Reflections". This school caters for native or near-native English speakers only.
- Calle Modistes 8, esquina Rambla de Garraf, Sant Pere de Ribes
- Tel: + 34 93 188 62 15
US International Schools
Expats from the US, as well as those who admire an American qualification, can find a variety of international schools to choose from.
The American School of Barcelona
The private day school is well known for its personal approach to teaching. Students here are from the ages of 3 to 18. ASB offers a university preparatory curriculum which allows students to graduate with an American diploma. Students also have the option to get an IB Diploma. Although the school runs on an American system, you can find many international students from 45 different countries.
- C/Jaume Balmes 7, 08950 Esplugues de Llobregat.
- Tel. 93 371 4016 / 93 371 5012
Benjamin Franklin International School
The American curriculum school is a college preparatory education. It is primarily taught in English, proving learning support and foreign language programs. Around a third of the children are Spanish/Catalan, a third American and third other nationalities. There are 3 divisions
– Elementary School (nursery – Grade 5)
- Middle School (grade 6-8)
- High School (grade 9 -12). 3 diplomas are awarded: the American High School Diploma, the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, and the Spanish Bachillerato Certificate.
- C/Martorell i Peña 9, 08017 Barcelona,
- Tel. 93 434 2380
ES International School Barcelona Campus
ES is a multicultural Elementary, Middle and High School. When pupils arrive at the school they offer a language level test which indicates whether they will need extra support provided by the school. There is a focus on athletics and the well being of the student. This as well as individual attention, close academic guidance and personal counselling is of the upmost importance to the school. They prepare students for university in the US. They also offer Advance Placement programmes.
- Autovía de Castelldefels C-31, km 191El Prat de Llobregat
- TEL:+34 93 479 1611
Gresol International American School
A private coeducational day school, following an International-American curriculum. A comprehensive education for students from 3 to 18 years of age. English is the main medium of teaching and students graduate trilingual. At Gresol International-American School, our aim is for your child to achieve more than they believe they can, encouraging students to be the leaders of the future.
- Ctra. Sabadell a Matadepera (BV-1248) km. 6, 08227 Terrassa, Barcelona
- Tel. +34 937 870 158
French International Schools
- Camí de la Pava, nº 15, GAVÀ 08850, Barcelona, Spain
- Téléphone: (+34) 93 633 13 58
Collège Ferdinand de Lesseps
Collège Ferdinand de Lesseps, founded by Ferdinand de Lesseps, is the oldest French school in Spain. Following the French education system, the school is for children from the age of 3. It is further accredited by the AEFE. College Ferdinand de Lesseps is divided into two campuses on C/Valencia and Gran Via de Les Corts Catalanes. There are approx. 460 pupils of which 54 percent are French.
- Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes 707,
- Tel. 93 232 1612
- C/Valencia 314, Tel. 93 458 3241
Ecole Bel Aire
- Ctra C - 246 Km 42 Vilanoveta, 08812 Sant Pere de Ribes
- Tél: 00 34 938 96 22 67
Lycée Français de Barcelone
Founded in 1924, the school aims to help strengthen the cultural links between Spain and France through the daily international interaction of kids from different cultural backgrounds. The French Lycée caters for more than two and a half thousand pupils from nursery to baccalauréat. All levels are taught in French with Spanish, Catalan and English. The school’s objective is to ensure that all pupils succeed in their studies and pursue their education in the country of their choice.
- C/ Bosch i Gimpera 6-10, 08034 Barcelona,
- Tel. 93 203 7950
Italian International Schools
Istituto Italiano Statale Comprensivo di Barcellona
The Italian public school is dedicated to education 6 to 18 years of age, where teaching is all in Italian, with Spanish, Catalan and English taught as foreign languages. The international school is approved by the Italian Ministry of Education.
- Pje. Mendez Vigo 8, 08009 Barcelona,
- Tel. 93 487 46 65
Swiss International Schools:
Escuela Suiza de Barcelona accepts children of all nationalities from the age of 3 to 18. The school follows the Swiss curriculum and teaching is in German with Spanish as a second language. The school promotes both the social and also the personal skills of its students. It nurtures their knowledge in German, Spanish, Catalan, English and French. Approximately half the teaching staff are German speaking and the other half Spanish. Both Swiss and Spanish diplomas are offered.
- Calle Alfons XII 99, 08021 Barcelona,
- Tel. 93 209 6544
Most noteworthy, the Zurich Schule offers an education in German, Spanish, Catalan and English to pupils from the age of 3 until 18. It offers small classes in a family atmosphere with a high value placed on sports and culture.
- Av Pearson 73, 08034 Barcelona
- Tel. 93 203 7600
- Avda. Jacinto Esteva Fontanet, 105
- E 08950 ESPLUGUES de Llobregat
- tel: (+34)93 371 83 00
- Bilingual and Trilingual Schools that follow Spain’s Curriculum
- John Talabot is a partially subsidised, secular and multicultural school and caters to 3-6 years of age and 6-16 years of age. The international environment offers English, Spanish, and Catalan based subjects, which is the core of their educational project. John Talabot School has been working with this trilingual project since 1976 hence the family-based school has one class per year that allows them to be even more attentive to students.
- Kindergarden: C/Quatre Camins 83, 08022 Barcelona, Tel. 934 340 542
- Primary and Secondary: C/Escoles Pies 136, 08017 Barcelona, Tel. 932 123 499
English Academy Santa Claus is a Kindergarten and Junior School for ages 3 to 12. Founded in 1965, it aims to ensure pupils obtain a good level in English, Spanish and Catalan.
- C/León XIII 12, 08022 Barcelona,
- Tel. 93 417 18 47
Princess Margaret School is a trilingual school for children from ages 3 to 16. At preschool (3-5) children are taught 85 percent in English, 45 percent in primary and 25 percent in secondary.
- Pg. de la Font d’en Fargas 15-17, 08032 Barcelona,
- Tel. 93 429 0313
The Barcelona Campus is one of the 9 SEK International schools. Education is offered from 4 months to 18. The school offers the IB programme integrated with the Spanish national curriculum. They offer a music school and Duke of Edinburgh in their extensive list of extra curricular activities.
- Av. del Tremolencs, 24. La Garriga. 08530 Barcelona, Spain
- (+34) 93 871 84 48
For ages 0-18. The only non-British school to offer iGSCEs. Focused on providing students with initiative. the 1500 students come from 40 different countries at the school. Students study the Spanish Baccalaureate and graduate with 5 languages. They are Spanish, Catalan, English, French, German and Chinese respectively.
- Av. Pla del Vinyet, 110 08172, Sant Cugat del Vallès
- Tel: 93589 84 20
Hamelin Laie International School introduces children to English, Spanish and Catalan from day one in the infant school. Over the years, English has become the main language of instruction and there are classes taught in Spanish and Catalan too. Pupils must choose a fourth language from primary school onwards.
- Ronda 8 de Març 178-180
- Montgat 08390
- T: 935556717
The Highlands School Barcelona is an international Catholic school.
For ages 3-18, they follow the Spanish system, and follow various teaching methods. This is a trilingual school.
- Carrer Manuel Florentín Pérez, 26, 08950 Esplugas de Llobregat, Barcelona
Trilingual Nursery and Primary school.
- C/Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer 50,
- Tel. 93 213 8864
Trinlingual school for ages 3-18.
- Avenida Pearson 39-45, 08034 Barcelona,
- Tel. 93 203 0500
Trilingual school for ages 3-18.
- Eduard Toldrà 18, 08034 Barcelona,
- Tel. 93 204 3612
- Carrer de Pomaret, 17-19, 08017 Barcelona
- Driving Schools
- Language Schools
Places of Worship:
Health and Beauty:
Leisure and Culture: