18 gener, 2023
Now Digital Nomads can get a Visa to Spain
A Change in the Working World
Remote working is consequently something many already engaged in to varying degrees before the pandemic. Taking that into consideration the Spanish Government approved the Digital Nomad Visa (DNV) on the 23rd of December 2022. This Visa allows you to work remotely from Spain, for example in sectors such as teleworking.
Why should you consider a Digital Nomad Visa?
There are many advantages of a Digital Nomad Visa, the main one being the rules of taxation. It grants its applicants a special tax regime whereby they pay very few taxes as opposed to the standard IRPF (personal income tax) sliding scale.
DIGITAL NOMADS VISA MAIN ADVANTAGES:
- Tax breaks for the employee (DNV applicant). This is the core advantage, as it basically applies a privileged non-domiciled tax scheme to visa holders that allows them to pay a flat tax rate of only 24% on the first €600,000 of gross annual earnings, over a five-year period. Over and above said threshold, they are taxed at the standard top marginal rate of 47%.
- There is also the opportunity to gain a five-year residency permit. Initially on a one-year application, followed by two two-year renewals up to a total of 5 years. The visa also extends to the family of the main applicant.
- It allows you to work in Spain remotely. Moreover, it encourages you to work in Spain, specifically remotely with your laptop.
- It allows you to legally override the 90/180-day rule, that limits stay in Spain (and by extension in the Schengen Area/EU).
- Tax breaks for the foreign employer (if it has an establishment in Spain).
What do you need to get a Digital Nomad Visa?
You need to prove you are hired by a foreign company. This is the core requirement. For example, you need to be a freelance IT artist with a contract. Additionally you need to prove you have academic qualifications (i.e. 3-year university degree) and at least 3 years of work experience.
STAPLE VISA REQUIREMENTS:
- You need to be a non-EU national.
- Private health insurance in Spain.
- A clean criminal record (of at least 5 years).
- Be self-supporting (you will not claim benefits in Spain)
- Not be already in Spain illegally at the time of making a visa application.
How can Casamona help you start your new life as a Digital Nomad in Barcelona?
In Casamona we keep an updated selection of properties, with comfortable working spaces, traditional Catalan features and plenty of natural light, that are the perfect apartment for digital nomads and their families. These are some of the features that you will find in every Casamona apartment in Barcelona’s greatest areas. Here are just a few of the great apartments that we have here at Casamona:
NXC319-18A – LUMINOUS AND SPACIOUS 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT WITH BALCONY IN EL BORN
NXC341-HS – MODERN 3 BEDROOM APARTMENT WITH PRIVATE TERRACE IN EIXAMPLE
XC117-XCJW – CHARMING ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT WITH ROOFTOP COMMUNITY TERRACE AND LIFT
NXC353-X18A – MODERN AND STYLISH 2 BEDROOM AND 2 BATHROOM APARTMENT IN POBLENOU
You could also consider co-living, as there are many benefits to this also. We have made a co-living guide for you, available in our blog: www.casamona.com/blog/advantages-of-co-living/
Barcelona is a great place to be a digital nomad. It offers lots of extracurricular activities, so that you can enjoy your offline time too. You may want to consider joining the David Lloyd Club Tur or visit the Gran Teatre del Liceu.
You can find these and a lot of other recommendations in this complete guide we prepared for you. Visit the CASAMONA INTERNATIONAL RESOURCES WEBSITE.
To conclude, the Digital Nomad Visa addresses a gap for high-end professionals that wish to relocate to Spain, alone or with their families, and enjoy all the country has to offer, including ultra-low taxes.
Application forms for the Digital Nomads Visa will be available soon.
We are here to help you. Find more at www.casamona.com/for-rent